Thursday 2 December 2010

Are You Afraid of Squats?

Yesterday I said that one common mistake I see guys doing on StrongLifts 5×5 is neglecting to add weight. Today I want to talk one of the reasons for this…

Fear.

I honestly believe that every strength trainer, no matter how strong he is, will always have some kind of fear when facing unfamiliar weights. I’m now in my 12th year of lifting and I admit I still have it when attempting PRs.

The difference is that experience has taught me how to handle this fear – by lifting that frigging weight, NOT by avoiding or delaying or overthinking it.

There’s actually a book (it’s not that good) called “Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway,” that makes this point – winners and achievers almost always keep feeling some fear when performing. The difference? They do it anyway.

Now this does NOT mean that you should load 200lbs extra on the bar, and risk injuring yourself in the process. You should always Squat inside the Power Rack, use the safety pins, and settle with smaller, yet consistent PRs.

What this does mean is that the fear of missing a lift will most likely never go away, and that there are only 2 ways you can deal with it:

face your fears; ORchicken out

Winners are winners because they stop thinking, stop rationalizing and just go for it. This, facing your fears, is what develops true courage and unbeatable self-confidence – not just under the bar but in everything.

So the real secret is becoming comfortable in uncomfortable situations. And you do what by consistently facing your fears, not by avoiding them.

I’ll reveal specific Squat techniques next week.

Email This • Get Free Updates• Print

15 Responses to “”Maxim says:November 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm

True.

Patrick says:November 19, 2010 at 2:14 pm

A great truth! and the book? FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY? never read it, I got the concept by just looking at the title. I didn’t need to read all teh psycho babble inside to get the idea. I’d been squatting over twenty years I think when the book came out. I have alwasy done squats, afraid or not. I was taught by a powerlifter in 1970 to “psych myself up.”
His name was John Garber, a great teacher and awesomely strong.

Alyona says:November 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Tnanks, Mehdi, for this inspiring post. Your confession and your advice make me realy optimistic, because yes, I’m afraid of squats (even though weight is not frightning).
Looking forward to read about technique next time.

Clement says:November 19, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I am afraid of squats, because they give me huge legs. I have that genetic advantage. They made my legs improportionate to my body and slowed my speed. I only do them once a week, and 3×3-5, and deadlifts for 1×5 the other time.

MARK says:November 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Fear is one emotion, but do not confuse it with caution, I for one have had to back off when lifting / squatting heavy due to injuries, too much heavy lifting can eventually cause injury after injury if you do not back off occasionally to allow niggles to repair before you know it those niggles can turn into bigger problems, I used to lift like a mad man every time I walked into our gym no fear just psyched and ready to lift anything, now I know better (at 44) a little common sense or caution can go a long way in keeping you injury free, now when attempt a personal best I stop to think about how my joints feel and what niggles I have been getting for the past few days, if all is well I go for it, if I suddenly remember that the niggling pain in my lower back has not quite gone I will play it safe and leave it for a few more days, this is caution not fear, you have to be sensible and work with your body not against it,
Good call about fear though never let it win, use it to get psyched and all being well go for it!

Vivek says:November 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I need to squat in life man! Not only under the bar.

Thanks mehdi.

Wyrmwood says:November 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

No Fear – not very courageous (or smart)
Know Fear, and face it – intrepid

rere says:November 19, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I’m always afraid of squats. Like you said when you get to the gym, you just have to psyche up a little and focus on going through the reps in your mind. It truly is a masterclass of an exercise. I hope I’ll be doing them for many, many years to come.

jon kane says:November 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Wyrmwood, i like that a lot. happy squatting everyone

Dchrist says:November 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Hahah. I Honestly told a co worker today that I thought everyone at my gym was scared to squat. No one ever does them, that I see, and they look at me like I’m crazy. :)

matt says:November 20, 2010 at 1:15 am

unfortunately i don’t have a power rack in my gym to squat in though. hope you cover how to face your fears in squatting without safety pins in your next post Mehdi :)

puurboi says:November 20, 2010 at 10:04 am

The fear of failure is what makes me do the lifts… the failure i would feel if i missed a gym day is the reason i go to the gym…

The fear is what drives me to do thing….and not shy away

Keagan says:November 20, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I simply see “fear” as anxiety which boosts me. Its allot easier to do a PR when your adrenaline is through the roof then when you are half asleep. I think everything is working perfectly when I get excited because my body works better.

RedForeman says:November 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Making sure my warm-up set weights keep pace with my 5×5 target weights has helped me with this. By working up to the target weight in sensible steps I’m not “hitting” that PR cold. My body is ready for the increment instead and it just goes.

Ken says:November 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I used to live in a rough apartment complex full of parolees and ex-convicts….I had NO choice, I had to squat to get stronger! LOL LOL.

Get my FREE eBookDiscover how to gain muscle and strength WHILE losing fat in only 3 workouts per week. Click here to get my book.

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment